Outcomes of the MS Program
- Fostering critical and creative thinking, which is vital to a free and open society.
- Offering high quality training to satisfy the growing demand for applied mathematicians who are supposed to play an important role in society by investigating, in cooperation with other professionals, a variety of biological, ecological, economic, industrial, political, social phenomena, including those related to transition and globalization.
- This program aims to contribute to the development of CEU as a research intensive university, through close cooperation with other CEU departments. It is expected that our graduates will be using their interdisciplinary experience and expertise when they hold various positions in education, business, industry, governmental or non-governmental organizations, either in the region or elsewhere.
Intended Outcomes & Assessment Methods and Tools (AMT)
1. Ability to reason both deductively and inductively, judge the validity of mathematical arguments, construct correct and coherent proofs as well as examples and counter-examples;
AMT: classroom discussions, consultation, quizzes, exams, presentations.
2. Ability to understand and evaluate the mathematical thinking of others, and communicate mathematical ideas and results to a variety of audiences;
AMT: classroom discussions and presentations, seminar talks, participation in student workshops.
3. Ability to solve a wide variety of problems by using advanced mathematical tools;
AMT: homework assignments, exams, participation in projects.
4. Ability to apply or create mathematical models to represent and solve problems that arise in other disciplines or in everyday life;
AMT: participation in projects, student research papers, dissertation.
5. Ability to conduct research in a group setting and provide expertise and lidership for projects involving applied mathematics;
AMT: successful participation in student research grants, success rate on the job market.
6. Comprehensive knowledge in mathematics and its applications, for students willing to continue their studies in the PhD track.
AMT: seminar talks, research papers, high quality dissertation, comprehensive exam, successful admission to PhD.
May 13, 2013
March 26, 2013
March 26, 2013